Advancing the industry through technology, equipment, and education

RSS Eye On Housing

  • Apartment Absorption Steady While Condominium Absorption Climbs April 20, 2018
    The U.S. Census Bureau produces the Survey of Market Absorption (SOMA), which tracks what happens to apartments in buildings with five or more units after they are completed. In the third quarter of 2017, 77,900 unfurnished, unsubsidized rental apartments were completed.  This is a 6 percent increase over units completed in the third quarter of […]
    Carmel Ford
  • Who are NAHB’s Builder Members? April 20, 2018
    Every year the National Association of Home Builders conducts a member census in order to better understand the composition and characteristics of the people who belong to its organization.  In 2017, 32 percent of NAHB’s members were builders—those directly involved in home building.  The remaining 68 percent were associate members—those involved in supportive industries and […]
    Carmel Ford
  • Remodeling Market Index Remains in Strong Territory Despite Three Point Slip April 19, 2018
    The Remodeling Market Index (RMI) dipped three points to 57 in the first quarter of 2018, according to the National Association of Homebuilders. For 20 consecutive quarters the RMI has been at or above 50, which indicates that more remodelers report market activity is higher compared to the prior quarter than report it is lower […]
    Carmel Ford

WMIA has collected a variety of tools to help solve problems in woodworking projects. The Woodworking Technology Shop Guide contains useful conversion tables and other information relating to machinery repair and installation.

You can download the Shop Guide, personalize it by adding your company’s logo, have it printed by your local print shop and distribute it to your customers as a useful tool that will remind them of your company.

Virginia Tech, Virginia Cooperative Extension in conjunction with the U.S. Forest Service, produce a monthly housing report. These reports contain in-depth data and comments on the U.S. housing market and are intended to help gauge future business activity.

January 2018 Housing Report

All past Virginia Tech – U.S. Forest Service housing reports are archived here

International Trade Administration Industry Snapshot

Global Industry Snapshot – Sawmill & Woodworking Equipment

This Industry Snapshot is presented by the Office of Transportation and Machinery and Global Manufacturing Team within the U.S. International Trade Administration. The International Trade Administration is dedicated to supporting U.S. jobs by strengthening the international competitiveness of U.S. industry, promoting trade and investment, and ensuring fair trade and compliance with trade laws and agreements.

Introduction:  The sawmill and woodworking industry is a vibrant marketplace. From large machinery to handheld tools, woodworking equipment is used to manufacture essential everyday products with increasing levels of precision, quality, and scale. Across the United States, the industry supports over 11,000 well-paying jobs. Many of these jobs are directly attributable to exports. This Industry Snapshot is intended to provide U.S. manufacturers with an overview of the global trade landscape for sawmill and woodworking equipment. Click here to read the full report.

Educational Organizations
Industry Associations
Safety Information