Celebrating and Honoring Our Past
It was great seeing a number of you in Maui last month for the annual Woodworking Industry Conference (WIC). It was one of our best-attended conferences in years, and the energy and enthusiasm I felt for our association and our industry was really exciting.
As you may be aware, 2018 marks WMIA’s 40th anniversary. That is, the Woodworking Machinery Importers Association (WMIA), which merged with the Woodworking Machinery Distributors Association (WMDA) to form the Woodworking Machinery Industry Association in the late 1990s. That is an impressive milestone, one worth celebrating.
In WMIA’s history, as well as the history of its predecessor organizations, there have been a large number of individuals who have provided leadership and vision through the years. Some of these individuals have been recognized previously while others might not have been, so to honor those who have made outstanding contributions to the Association and/or have had a profound effect on the woodworking machinery industry, WMIA’s Board of Directors created the Hall of Honor.
To be considered eligible for nomination to the Hall of Honor, prospective candidates must have spent a minimum of 15 years working in the industry. Nominees may be retired, deceased, or currently working in the industry. They must have made significant contributions to WMIA, the industry, and/or the community in which the industry operates. They could be WMIA members (or former members) or individuals within the industry who were ineligible or unable to join.
As you’ll see in the related article in this issue, we inducted our first class into the Hall of Honor during WIC 2018 in Maui. In this initial year of the Hall of Honor, a large group of individuals—founders, past presidents, etc., from WMIA and its predecessors—were inducted, trying to capture all of the key people from those days.
Moving forward, we will accept nominations for the Hall of Honor from the entire WMIA membership. More information will follow later this year, but don’t hesitate to contact WMIA’s President and CEO, Larry Hoffer, at email@example.com or 571-279-8341 with any questions.
While the Board and the staff are committed to continuing to ensure WMIA is a strong, vibrant association into the future, it is important to honor those who came before us and helped lead us to this point. We are proud of the creation of the Hall of Honor, and hope you will consider nominating someone to be honored in the future.
WMIA Chairman of the Board
- 1.WMIA News – August 2017
- 2.Member Profile: Atlantic Machinery (October/November 2017)
- 3.Member Spotlight: Riccardo Azzoni, Atlantic Machinery (October/November 2017)
- 4.President’s Message: October/November 2017
- 5.WMIA News: October/November 2017
- 6.Chairman of the Board’s Message – January 2018
- 7.WMIA News: January 2018
- 8.President’s Message: February 2018
- 9.WMIA News: February 2018
- 10.Member Spotlight: Jason Dingess, Quis Machinery, Inc. (May/June 2018)
- 11.Member Profile: Quis Machinery (May/June 2018)
- 12.Chairman’s Message: May/June 2018
- 13.WMIA News: May/June 2018
- 14.WMIA News: September/October 2018
- 15.WMIA News: August 2020
- 16.WMIA News: September 2020
- 17.WMIA News: October 2020